Can an Ameraucana have yellow legs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DavidofVA, Jul 10, 2010.

1. DavidofVA

DavidofVA New Egg

Jul 10, 2010
    Today I started my flock by purchasing five pullets that were sold as Ameraucana. One of the birds has yellow legs. My question is: can Amerauana's have yellow legs? Or do I have a red sex link? This particular pullet is two months old and is larger than its slate grey leggd buff colored sister two month old. Three of the pullets are one month old. Of those three, two of them are whitish with black markings. I don't care if they are just Easter Eggers but I do want to know what breed (or in the case of mongrel, what type or heritage) my birds are. The yellow legged "Ameraucana" is beautiful reddish brown.

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    If you can get a pic that would be most helpful. Good luck!

3. DavidofVA

DavidofVA New Egg

Jul 10, 2010
    I'll try to get a picture but it may be a few days. Heading into a work rotatation.

4. clacasse88

clacasse88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Hmm. I've always thought it 'had' to have slate colored legs to be and it was a telltale way to identify esp. when they are chicks. I'd be interested to know otherwise as I have a mystery batch of chicks and ruled out any EEs because none of them had the slate colored legs.

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Not all ameraucanas have slate legs at hatch. Some of them darken as they grow. In the OPs case- I think the dark reddish-brown one would be an EE, as there are only a few accepted colors. Even if both parents are pure ameraucana, but of mismatched color, offspring would be considered EEs and would not breed true.

6. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Agree if ithas any trace of an ameraucana I believe it'd be an EE since they can have all kind of different comb, colors and legs color variation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by