Can an area of land become devoid of worms due to chickens eating them?

valxo

In the Brooder
May 22, 2018
I know, I know! This question sounds ridiculous. But I really am hoping to find an answer. Our garden is not far from our chicken coop and run. I’ve been watering the run bed at night and raking up the wet hay in the morning to reveal a nice wormy breakfast for the babies. Here’s the ridiculous question: Can I inadvertently lure so many worms to the wet coop that they are depleted from the garden?? Is that even possible? Thank you to anyone not laughing so hard that they aren’t able to respond.

I'm not laughing , I don't think your chickens can make much of a difference to the worm population. Maybe if you had thousands of them- but, even then worms are just part of what chickens eat, some will even eat mice and small snakes, other bugs that come around etc. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

I know, I know! This question sounds ridiculous. But I really am hoping to find an answer. Our garden is not far from our chicken coop and run. I’ve been watering the run bed at night and raking up the wet hay in the morning to reveal a nice wormy breakfast for the babies. Here’s the ridiculous question: Can I inadvertently lure so many worms to the wet coop that they are depleted from the garden?? Is that even possible? Thank you to anyone not laughing so hard that they aren’t able to respond.
Welcome to BYC. I don't believe that your chickens will make much of a dent in the population of worms.

I doubt that would be a thing. Worms don't travel that far. Chickens can and do deplete invertebrates, vertebrates, seeds and plants over time where they forage.
Watering the run at night will break down the soil into smaller particles and the chickens walking on it will compact the soil making it difficult (read that as impossible) to grow things. Add to that, the phosphorus from chicken feces will exacerbate the problem.
Personally, I would leave the straw on the ground to dilute the feces and cushion the impaction on the soil.
I would also add that worms and other invertebrates are intermediate hosts for parasitic worms so I don't encourage my birds to eat them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom