can an egg be laid without a shell?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WildWorks, Nov 25, 2012.

1. WildWorks

WildWorks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    Hamilton, Texas
    Just found a membrane and yolk in the nest box...not a speck of a shell...weird...is that one if the chickens eating the shell or it didn't form?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is very common, especially with new layers, and it sometimes happens later. Nothing to worry about--of course they will eat those eggs before you find them, but again no big deal.

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Shell-less eggs and soft shell eggs happen sometimes. I few here and there, especially with new layers is normal. If it is happening all the time your birds may not be getting enough calcium or may have a problem absorbing calcium.

4. WildWorks

WildWorks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    Hamilton, Texas
    Thanks for the replies...love this site!!!

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    What kind of chickens do you have WildWorks

6. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

Make sure that your feed is formulated for layers. I have seen young pullets kept on starter feed for too long have this problem ("to use up the bag").

7. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Here are some hints I post about shell-less -- (sometimes the eggs seem like jello) if you find them intact...you can beak the membrane and mix into the chicken feed to give the chickens a protein boost.

"Shell-less eggs. I think that there can be a lot of causes for the chicken to loose the ability to create a good shell.

Do they get enough calcium? Free choice oyster shell in a container is good, and crushing the shells of the eggs you use and feeding them back to your flock is good. My chooks prefer egg shells to oyster shells BTW.

Apple Cider vinegar in their water (1TBSP per 1gallon of water) - helps the chicken's digestive system absorb nutrients -- including calcium, it has to do with the pH factor.

Vitamin D3 helps the hen with egg shell production too. I bought a bottle of tablets at WalMart and crushed up one. put it in with some feed and the contents of the shell-less egg (she was making membranes but no shell) - so vitamin D3, and more protein and good quality layer feed with the most calcium of the available feeds, They tended to gobble that down.

Old age, and other factors can interfere with shell production if you think your hens may be approaching the end of their laying period."

I actually got a shell-less just the other day. There is no end to the advantages of putting vinegar in the chickens water...and recycling chicken eggshells is a win/win.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  8. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    It is fine, and in my opinion better, to keep young pullets on a non medicated starter or grower/flock raiser as long as you add calcium separately free choice. It is important that they have enough calcium, not necessary that they are on a layer feed. There are multiple ways to insure that this happens.

Just be sure that your birds always have a calcium source available.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  9. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

Better? Well. I guess we will disagree on that until I see a reliable nutritional breakdown and needs analysis that supports this.

My post was only to caution against relying on the incomplete nutrition in starter feed for egg layers, which we apparently agree on.

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    X2 It is fine to keep them on flock raiser. As long as you provide extra calcium on the side, in the form of oystershell or crushed egg shells. The difference between layer food and flock raiser is the extra calcium in layer food. My hens are on flock raiser and I offer them oyster shell on the side and they are laying beautifully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by