1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can an old hen be kept together with day old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lalyswishytail, Mar 14, 2012.

1. lalyswishytail

lalyswishytail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    Chicago area
    Three years ago, I started my flock with "teenaged" chickens. I didn't want to kill a helpless chick and thought it would be better to start with more established girls. Since I've done well with caring for chickens, and because the egg laying is terribly slow, I've decided to start a new flock with day-old chicks. I'll be keeping the chicks in my classroom at school in a large box. My question is probably overly personified, but...

how will the chicks know how to act like a chicken unless they are kept around an older chicken for imprinting? Should I bring one of my older girls to school too, or would she eat the chicks?

Thanks for your answers and knowledge!

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Most of there behavior seems to be instinct- you will have to show them water and food the first day and make sure everyone is eating by day three (if these are just hatched). This is not a bad idea to do even if they are older.

I would not use a cardboard box.

I would blend the flock under supervision after the chicks are 1/2 or greater the size of the pullets and fully feathered.

3. hennyandpenny

hennyandpenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    i agree with firetigress do not use a cardboard box! the chicks will accidently splash the water and it will soak through. i had to switch to a plastic storage conatiner to keep them happy and (almost) not soaking wet. the storage box cant be small of they will hae no room one that is about 2.5-3' by 1.5' should be good.

4. hennyandpenny

hennyandpenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    just an after thought/question. if the pullets and cockerels and the older hens have been seperated but can still see eachother can i let the younger chicks into the cooop with the older hens?

5. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

you will still have to supervise.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by