Can an old man and a young hen live together without the neighbors talking?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by macms, May 22, 2016.

1. macms

macms Just Hatched

May 22, 2016
    I searched for chickens and here you are! I'm new to backyard chickens and researching all that this entails. I said I'm new and thats mostly true. As a young boy on the farm I did my share of chores and butchering dinner. More than 60 years later here I am learning that keeping backyard chickens is a bit different than my youth. :)

I have a second story deck 12' x 40' and beneath this is a great space for a coop and run for 4 hens. Obviously more than I need and our local ordinance only allows 4 hens. I've talked to my neighbors and they are supportive, but I think they perhaps see an opportunity to be gifted fresh eggs. LOL As I said I'm older now and I'm actually working with my neighbors trying to form an informal co-op. What I mean by this is to have them assist me in return for a "share" of the yolks. No worky...no eggy... :)

Cya around the forum.

1 person likes this.
  2. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Yep ... an old man can live with 4 young hens without the neighbors talking .... at least in any negative way. [​IMG]

[​IMG] and I think it is going to be enjoyable to read your threads. Sounds like you have some good plans forming. Let us know what happens.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great to read that you are getting back into the world of chickens. Love the "eggs for cleaning chicken poo" idea!

Best wishes
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope you will enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by