Can an oviduct prolapse in a hen not yet laying - Help/Information

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicfotog, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Chicfotog

Chicfotog New Egg

Feb 12, 2012
    I am new to being a chicken mom and need some information, please. This is my third weekend with my hens and my Speckeld Sussex, Flash, who is about 7 or 8 months old and not yet laying eggs, appears to have had her oviduct pop out when pooping twice today. I have not weighed her but she and my Black Australorp, who is the same age, is about the same size. I am guessing in the 3 - 4 pound range. They went from living in a very large multi coop "barn" with several other birds. She now resides not only with the Black Australorp but also a Buff Brahma. They have switched from feed and scratch only to feed, scratch, grass and bugs in a not quite free range lifestyle. Their hen pen is 10' x 10', so they are not crowded.

The oviduct retracted and Flash appears to be feeling fine. It was not bleeding, though she did have a little whitish poop under her vent. Normally her poop is about the size of a pretty small egg, but today when the oviduct popped out while pooping, it was the size of pellets of feed. It has turned greenish, but she does have a diet high in grass and various yard greens, such as dandelions. Could she have an egg that is not coming out as it should? Is this normal for the oviduct to pop out and retract or is it something I should be concerned about?

We did have a big change in weather today and we closed up their hen pen with tarps and added some heating lamps. Could this just be a stress reaction to the changes we made?

Thank you for any information you can provide. Like other new parents, I want to make sure my girls are taken care of properly. I have been reading a lot about the oviduct problems like this but it mostly discusses hens who have been laying for a while.

Thank you,
    Sue

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, she could be eggbound, or have some other egg laying problem, even though she has not layed yet. I doubt the tarps and such have anything to do with it, although it's true they don't like change.

3. Chicfotog

Chicfotog New Egg

Feb 12, 2012
    Thank you, Judy. I have not seen this happen again, but I do work all day. She seems to be feeling fine, eating, drinking, actively chasing bugs, etc. I will keep an eye on her and see how she does.

Sue

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by