can Annie go back in the coop tonight? need answer fast please?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jeannieo, Jan 1, 2010.

1. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    ok. my older EE has been in the house for two days I thought she was sick but I guess she was faking. [​IMG] so it's 4:40 PM in CT, 32 degrees outside and about 40 in the coop with a 250 bulb and a 150. Has she been in the house too long and is it too cold? THANKS! [​IMG]

2. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    A faker, huh? [​IMG] That's a pretty good ploy for some extra attention and treats! I don't know if it's better to put her back now or in the morning... she will probably be fine either way in my opinion.

3. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    thanks for the response. I think I'll wait til morning now cuz it's dark but I was afraid she had been in the warm house too long. And she was getting extra treats! scrambled eggs, oatmeal with scratch and ground flax seed and baby strained peaches. My chooks are running my life! [​IMG]

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    what were her initial symptoms?

5. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Good idea to wait til the morning...you know she is loving the extra attn and you are loving giving it to her...LOL

6. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    40 degrees is not a bad temp for outside! How warm is it in the house? Can you put her in a cooler place tonight, such as a garage?

7. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Quote:Sounds like a very smart solution... somewhat cooler but not shocking! I will keep this in mind if/when this problem comes up with my hens!

8. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    If you do decide to put her straight outside, you may consider doing it tonight because the other hens will accept her better at night. Otherwise, you might have picking issues.

9. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    Quote:she is in our downstairs bathroom which isn't heated so it's probably around 65 in there. I could put her in the garage but our garage feels as cold as outside and besides I don't want her to be scared out there by herself! [​IMG]

10. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Quote:This is the advice I would give you, too. Hens tend to be pretty unforgiving to one who isn't among them for a time. Do put her outside now as they are roosting and in the morning will not remember she was gone at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by