1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can Antibiotics and Dewormers be Mixed?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hokankai, Dec 25, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I have a cochin pullet who is not doing too well. She is having a flare up of her CRD because of the cold and her severe lice infestation. I dusted her with Sevin powder today as well as started her on Tylan. Can I mix her antibiotic and dewormer together in her water? They all need to be wormed and I'm afraid she has worms that are causing her pale comb/wattles.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Usually the dewormer is a small dose that you give separate from the water.

But I wouldn't see a problem... Sometimes you have to use the shotgun approach.

3. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    The stuff I was sold is called Pig Swig and it is a Piperazine Water Wormer. The dosage says it is 1 oz per 1.25 gals of water. So if I were to mix the wormer for all the chickens (let's say just the 1.25 gals), took 1/4 gal and added it to the Tylan dosage, that that wouldn't be a bad thing for my little girl? I don't see any counter-indications on the bottle of dewormer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by