Can any 2 chickens mate and produce a fertile egg?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kyexotics, Jan 16, 2015.

1. kyexotics

kyexotics Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2014
    We have female sultans(and male), female polish(and males) and a lakenvelder rooster in same coop, can the lakenvelder create a chick with either breed? Can any 2 chickens mate and produce 'something"?...If not, is there a way to determine compatibility?

2. btguy

btguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2013
    North Mississippi
    Just subscribing cuz I'm curious too.

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Yes.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, any two chickens (assuming they are fertile) can mate and produce offspring.

1 person likes this.
  5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Yes, they can.

1 person likes this.
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep. Some smaller rooster may have a harder time mating larger hens, but they'll sure have fun trying!

1 person likes this.
  7. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Just wanted to let you know that today hatched a bantam (tiny one) and polish baby. It is so little and has different coloring. [​IMG]
    This is her.

1 person likes this.
  8. kyexotics

kyexotics Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2014
    Dats a wittle baby!!!!!!! What type os the bantam and is that a WHITE polish?!?

9. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    The mother hen determines the size (and conformation type) of the chicken hatched. The male determines the feather coloring and comb combo. Shanks depend on dominant and recessive genes involved. (For instance, yellow shanks is dominant. A bird carrying the yellow shank gene already carries the full set of 2 genes needed to pass on the shanks.)

We have a 1 3/4 lb OEGB Brown black bantam who mates our 5-6 lb PR hens- he does a surprisingly efficient job of getting the job done... and hens love him, lol. The mix is a standard sized, well-colored PR, with red areas/ underbody breaking through black feathers. Yellow shanks. Usually laying a white- lightly tinted egg.

1 person likes this.
  10. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    The way species typing works is any type of that species has to be able to reproduce to make fertile offspring,
    So all chickens are one species because they can all mate with each other for fertile offspring, the same rules applies to horses and donkeys, they are two different species so when they breed they produce a mule which can not produce fertile offspring.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by