Can any breeds be sex linked?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FowlLanguage, Aug 4, 2010.

1. FowlLanguage

FowlLanguage Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    I have 3 new ducklings. Mama is a Runner and I haven't a clue about the dad. 2 are little yellow ones, but the third is yellow with some grayish patterns on its back. I know for a fact that they all have the same parents, so the possibility of the dad having a sex link gene is all that I can think of.

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I think it's just the luck of the draw, my runner babies had a black father and trout mother and 2 came out black and one is white with a tiny black spot they all quack very well so i'm taking them all to be girls [​IMG]

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have read that there are some breeds and colors of runners that can produce a sex-linked generation.

4. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    i've got a pair of "mutts" that throw two different patterns of babies mallard (grey) and appleyard pattern. both distinctly diiferent but always consistent. even more, the babies are sex linked. the yellow and black ones are always drakes and the yellow and brown ones are always hens. go figure. i know nothing about the history of the parents. i got them as adults. my first pair actually. now i have almost 200.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by