1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can any one help me to figure out if I have hens or roosters

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lilofthestars, Nov 11, 2015.

1. lilofthestars

lilofthestars Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2015
    I am really new to raising chickens. My husband and I have three so far. One is white and has fur on her feet. The other one I believe is either Rhode Island Red or part Rhode Island Red cuz she is red. Then I have an Americana I was told.[​IMG][/IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    The two in the front of this picture are cockerels. I can't tell on the other one - a picture from the front would help to tell what gender that one is :)

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    x2

4. lilofthestars

Oct 9, 2015
    Thank you, may I ask how can you tell?

5. lilofthestars

Oct 9, 2015
    [​IMG] It is hard to get a front picture of her. I was told she is a americana

6. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    From what I can see she looks like a pullet so far.

We can tell from their red, developed combs at their age - that's a sure sign of a cockerel.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The first two are cockerels, the last I am not sure of, she looks like a pullet but, has the red coloring over her wings which usually means male.

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Males get red in the comb much earlier than females. Pullets don't start to turn red in the comb until they are getting close to laying age, usually around 14 to 18 weeks old. They are all mixed breeds. The 'Ameraucana' is likely an Easter Egger.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on junebuggena's post.

10. lilofthestars

Oct 9, 2015
    Thank you,that is a heart break we did not want roosters. Now I fell in love with them. The two roosters are so sweet
    I can pick them up and pet them they eat right out of my hand.We kind of rescued the roosters, the was at a farm store. When I went back to get him. It was hot they looked like they was having a heat stroke with no water, it was black mush, I took a hose and started to give all the animals water, I felt so bad. I took the smallest one. Thet said they had customers all day .To me not a excuse. The red one also has 2 toes that are curled. It does not bother him.They were in small wired cages.The white one comb is not red but pink, could that mean she may be a hen?
    The one with out the comb is a scared all the time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by