Can any one help with chicken sexing please??

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickenninny, Aug 14, 2013.

1. chickenninny

chickenninny New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    New Forest
    Hi all - I'm new to posting, but have been an avid reader of this great forum for a while :)

I wondered if anyone could help me to sex some chicks please? I have 2 six & a half week old chicks. I've had them since a day old (hastily obtained to pop under mama hen when her eggs didn't hatch). One is a Plymouth Rock (hopefully!) & the other was described as a sex-linked "lovely hen" - the breeder keeps Columbian Black Tails & I think this is her breed??? Or a Brown Leghorn?? Any other possibilities - suggestions welcome?!

I've attached piccies - I have more if needed - I'm sure you all know how hard it is to snap chickens!! I think (HOPE!!!) the Plymouth Rock's female?? I'm starring to worry the the other may be a rooster though?! "She"s got a big red comb & huge wattles...

Any thoughts gratefully received - thanks so much :)

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to posting on the forum.

Chicken sexing is quite tricky unless you have a type that you can tell right away like a cream leg bar - the males all have dots on their heads. Or the time tested method of waiting until it crows or lays an egg. Pullets combs stay pink until the day before they start ovulation and then it is bright cherry red. Roosters mature a bit younger and their combs are brighter - the initial crows are odd until they really get it down. I have had both sexes act like roos and play fight. As tiny babies my silver laced roos were both much lighter in color than the pullets of the same breed.

People are paid a lot of money to be good at sexing breeds - whether it is the squeeze method demonstrated on Dirty Jobs or looking at feathers on the wing just after hatching. That teen age stage is trickier once they feather out.

Have fun with your chickens.
    Caroline

4. chickenninny

chickenninny New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    New Forest
    Thanks! I really love them :) I know I just have to wait to find out - I'm so impatient!!
    Not sure if the piccies came out - the rock is called Peppermint Humbug & the black tail is Ginger Biscuit!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, chickenninny, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]sorry but we don't see any photos.

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by