Can any one tell if this is a hen or rooster?

Dotshines

Songster
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
McAlpin, Fl
This is a 5 month old speckeld sussex. I thought it was a rooster but it doesn't act like one and it hasn't crowed. Its brother is crowing but not this one.

Yep, that'a a rooster. Adolescence hits birds differently, just like it does humans. Even hatch mates can develop at different rates and this guy's just a later bloomer.

Yep, that'a a rooster. Adolescence hits birds differently, just like it does humans. Even hatch mates can develop at different rates and this guy's just a later bloomer.
Oh thankyou. I thought it was but was confussed by his lack of roosterness. lol

A beautiful cockerel. He is so pretty!
Oh thank you. He is very sweet. My friend got what she thought were 3 hens and a roo ,but as they grew she said she had 2 roos so she gave me this one. I had sold my Americanas and only kept a hen that had a crooked beak. So my little Funny Girl needed a buddy so I took Ike but as I said befor he hasn't even begun to act like a roo. lol my little late bloomer.

Oh thank you. He is very sweet. My friend got what she thought were 3 hens and a roo ,but as they grew she said she had 2 roos so she gave me this one. I had sold my Americanas and only kept a hen that had a crooked beak. So my little Funny Girl needed a buddy so I took Ike but as I said befor he hasn't even begun to act like a roo. lol my little late bloomer.

Aw, you had a hen with cross beak? I used to have one, sadly she passed.

Once I had a silkie rooster that didnt start crowing till a year old

In my terribly limited experience I find that any young bird with red on their face is a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom