Can anybody help me ? What do I have?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Noah, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Noah

Noah Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    This is Pepper.
    I know he is a roo but what breed(s) might he be?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Spice.
    What kind(s) of rooster is he?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you.

2. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Wow, Spice is frizzled, very cool. Any chance you could post side shot photos of both of them standing naturally? Type tells a lot when trying to determine a breed mix.

3. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Judging from the size of Spice he is a mix and he probably would not be considered bantam size he look's fairly large in the Pic.With the long tail feather's he look's to have some OE in him.The comb is large too so look's like Roo to me.Pepper is also a mix as she doesn't have a lot of foot feathering on her feet.So maybe a mix of Cochin or something not sure.Nice looking bird's though.Maybe someone else can chime in with opinion.I got a couple nice girl's is Spice for sale? hehe.I got 2 black bantam sumatra hen's need roo.Right now they with OEGB roo's.Think they would make nice looking chicks'.

4. Noah

Noah Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Thank you very much for replying.
    Spice is a pretty fella for sure.
    Pepper is a bit feistier than Spice.
    I really enjoy having them around.
    My husband says it is time for my babies to go into the outdoor coop full time.
    I like them inside with me at night.[​IMG]

5. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    They both look like they have some EE in them. Both of them have the puffy cheeks. For the black one on top, my guess would be EE x cochin and for the bottom one, a great looking mix.

6. Noah

Noah Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Thank you.

I have two seabright hens.
    Do you think it would be ok to let Spice in with them or is he too big?
    I also have a little blue hen.

I got the hens to go in with the roosters but I am now wondering if Spice is too big to be in with such small hens.
    Confusing and I did a lot of research first.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  7. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:I think it's the tail and the frizzle(ing) that makes him look large. I would put them together and keep an eye out. Or maybe weigh them and get an idea of how much larger he is than the hens.

8. Noah

Noah Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Texas Star,

Thank you for the advice.
    My two roosters get along well right now.
    I was planning on putting the two roo's and the three hens all in the same coop.
    Do you think this will be ok?
    The roos have been together since Easter and there was only one little scuffle.(nothing serious at all)
    Is there a certain section that will help me learn how to introduce them all together safely?
    I'm very attached to the roo's and would be really upset if they hurt each other or the hens.
    This is my first real adventure into the wonderful world of chickens.

9. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I think if you want to keep both roos, you may want to buy more hens, and make sure that they have plenty of room. For now they will probably be okay, but you still may want to keep an eye on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by