Can anybody make a list of the different chickens and how they taste?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by kees, May 14, 2008.

1. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    There are so many breeds...I was wondering how each one tasted. Can anyone list the ones that they've tried and what they were like?

2. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    i envision a list of hundreds of chicken breeds and on the right hand side it says "tastes like chicken." over and over again.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Standards and mutts, layer types to meat types, from the standard white/yellow skinned standards to the black skin silkies all taste the same to me.

What I find that makes a difference in "strength" of taste is usually age. Yes your dual purpose bird has more flavor but that's because you butchered it at 16 weeks old vs 6-8. A 3 year old "spent" hen is good for soup because they are old and flavorful in that respect... although if you tried to eat it, good luck.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Dang, you beat me to it!

5. kees

Feb 5, 2008
    Nope...can't do the "taste like chicken"! I know that I've read that some people say that certain exotic or decorative breeds were absolutely horrible. Aside from age, I was wondering, comparatively speaking how each of the breeds stacked up.[​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My guess it is like how the red mm's taste better than the green ones. Or that the exotics were no good eatin since they had to be so old before they had any meat to even try to eat on them.

7. kees

Feb 5, 2008
    I guess in my mind I'm thinking that different varieties of chickens are like different varieties of coffee...or perhaps chocolate. [​IMG]

8. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    OHHHHH chocolate chicken!!!! Wouldn't THAT be a treat!!!!!!

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Ummmm..... no.

10. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    Sounds like a good reason to hold "chicken tastings."

I'll come if they are all going to be wings!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by