can anybody tell me what sex these 5 wks old chicks are

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dianawatson49, Sep 27, 2015.

1. dianawatson49

dianawatson49 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2015
    can anybody tell me what sex these 5 wks old chicks are???? idk if I posted this in the right place the first time. I know one is A black orphington. If you dont know, can you tell me at what age you can tell for sure, and how you can tell?? i will try to attatch pics perhaps that may help a well trained eye thanks for any and all help![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

You did post to the correct place, but these birds are still too young to make anything more than a wild guess. Check back in 5 to 7 more weeks.

You can tell gender based on several characteristics: Posture, comb/wattle, voice, feet, feathers, and personality.

- A rooster will usually hold his head and tail straight up in the air, while hens keep their tails down and don't stand as tall.

- A rooster will have a large, red comb and wattle, while a young hen will have a smaller, pinker one

- A rooster will have a deeper, raspier voice than a hen, and begin crowing around 5-6 months of age

- A rooster will have larger feet than a hen

- A rooster will begin growing long, pointed, wispy feathers on his wing bow and saddle, and long, curved sickles in his tail, around 11-14 weeks of age. Hens will have rounded wing bow and saddle feathers, and no sickles.*

- A rooster will usually have a more aggressive and bold personality than a hen. This isn't always the case, though, so personality is one of the more unreliable characteristics to sex by.

*There are several breeds of fowl to which feather sexing does not apply. This includes Silkies, Frizzles, and hen-feathered breeds such as Sebrights and some gamefowl.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on the above. If you re-post their pics in about a month, we can probably sex them accurately for you at that time.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x3

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x4

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member