Can anybody tell me what she is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sjisty, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    This is Chrissie. We decided to get chickens about 6 years ago. We were pretty dumb! We thought "bantam" was a breed and so didn't ask any futher. Of course we have since learned there are many breeds of chickens, but I have always wondered what breed Lady Chrissie is. She is very vocal and a bit flighty. She has clean legs and a very small single comb with no points. She is always either broody or raising chicks with an average of about two weeks in between leaving her chicks and becoming broody again.

Does anyone know what she might be?

By the way, the chicks are foster chicks (Brahmas).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Some sort of game chicken, maybe American game, and a cross with something else. Not sure, but I like her [​IMG]

3. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Hmmmmm............... I was lookinng at her and she is beautiful!! I really like her. I agree with mysunwolf. She looks like a mixed breed of game. I have one like that that is a little darker and I was guessing she was a Japanese bantam. I'm sorry I dont know what she is for sure.......:(

4. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Whatever she is, she is the best mommy! She has survived a hawk attack (hubby threw a tape measure at the hawk to get it off of her) and a dog attack. She has raised many of my Brahmas over the years and as we speak has six new chicks, so she is very happy.

By the way, she scares the you-know-what out of everybody! She will only lay eggs and brood in a large planter that we have on a shelf outside of our shed. She comes out of the nest in full voice and flight, screaming at the top of her lungs, which scares any company we may have. We call her Hurricane Chrissie. She also attacks and bites anyone (even me) or anything (squirrels, other chickens, my Australian Shepherd dog, etc.) who comes near her babies, but she will bring them in the house if I open the door for her. She is such a funny thing!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, mixed game. I had a similar hen who was a great momma. What a great find for you!

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I thought I recognized her, she's from your Brahmalot thread! What a sweet little mommy. She's definitely a game mix of some sort.

7. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Yup, she hatched and raised many of the citizens of Brahmalot, including Queen Frack!

8. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    She looks Serama-ish to me. It wouldn't surprise me if she was a serama, cuz you have some.

9. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    game mix

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by