1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone explain "Color Leakage"? (re: Salmon Faverolles)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Aeropennchick, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    I hope this is the right place for this topic!

I just got a pair of salmon faverolles - pullet and roo. There were two pullets to choose from, a very light colored one, and this darker one with the blueish coloring at the base of the feathers. I am partial to the blue coloring, so I liked that right away, and this chick seemed more docile when I picked her up, so she got to come home with me.

I came across a post that said something about color leakage, and the chicken had coloring kind of like mine. Can anyone explain to me what this is??? I found it mentioned in several threads but no real explanation.

Here's my girl - no name yet!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks!!

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    That isn't leakage, it's just the typical grey underfluff of a salmon Fav pullet.

3. Aeropennchick

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Ok, I guess maybe the other post I saw was a bit misleading then, because the SF looked very similar to mine. I still have no idea what is meant by "color leakage"!

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    This is an example of leakage - red in the hackles and wingbow

[​IMG]

Are yours bantams? The pullet you didn't choose, did she have all white underfluff?

5. Aeropennchick

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Hmm, so it's like a color popping up that isn't really supposed to be there? Like part of a phenotype making an appearance I suppose - maybe something to do with more than one dominant coloring gene?

The pullet I didn't choose did seem very light overall, light light salmon back and streaked head, white face and chest. Very nice looking, really. But she seemed afraid of me, and was a good deal smaller, probably a week or so younger than the male I chose.

6. Aeropennchick

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Oh and they are standards

7. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

You shoulda got both pullets... This one you have is pretty. There is such a thing as blue salmon also.

8. Aeropennchick

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    I know! I wanted to get both SF pullets and a second blue orpington also, but I think DH is about to kill me as it is! Started off with six and will be up to 21 by August. That's after I increased my July 30th order from 8, to 9, and then finally 10 pullets. At least I refused the free chick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by