1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can anyone explain to me the "braid" breeding scheme?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by minister man, Sep 22, 2010.

1. minister man

minister man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    Hi, I have used the search part to the site to learn as much as I can about breeding schemes, and on one thread I read of a breeding scheme Called "Braid". I tried to google it, but nothing came up. Is there anyone out there that could explain it to me? Such as How many pens, how many birds, how the program works? I read the ones about sprial matings, and went to the suggested website where it is well explained. However, I would like to be able to compare it to this program that I have never heard of before.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. minister man

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    So is a "braid" really a breeding scheme at all?

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  4. minister man

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    Thanks for the link. I guess I have read about that plan before, I have just never heard it called a Braid before. Kind of a neat name for it.

So how would it compare to a spiral mating? I know the difference is that there is one year of close breeding inbetween the rotations in the spiral matings, but what does that give you? which plan keeps you breeding longer?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by