can anyone explain what the first attempted crows of a roo sound like and the average

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenreyna, Jan 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. chickenreyna

chickenreyna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Anyone explain or even attempt describe the attempted first crows and average age frame banty cochin roo will start attempting to crow. I heard approx 5 noise attempts this morning That i have never heard before! i cant even begin to describe or explain the noise and i think its my rooster, whom i bought from a TSS type store 11/26, is when he was purchased from a TSS type store.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I had some bantam cockerels that roosted in a hedge outside my bedroom window and practiced their nascent crows beginning around age ten weeks.

They sounded like someone clearing their throat. "Uh-huh!" Two notes.

Once one of my young cockerels crowed as early as six weeks, and that sounded like a shrill squeak.

Standard breeds usually begin crowing around five months and sound like someone gargling. It takes lots of practice to get all the right notes lined up so it sounds like a regulation crow.

3. chickenreyna

Oct 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Eggsperts, a newbie needs your help

4. chickenreyna

Oct 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Haha whatever it was each noise he made was about two of the same noise repetitive after each attempt they got less loud after each time so alll 5 crows first of each 5 .were loudest then it got lower its almost like he made fifteen attempts but three at once in a row i doubt anyone understands what i am trying to explain? ;

5. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I understand. Cockerel practice crows are nothing if not confusing. I don't think they even understand what they are doing, and it surprises and confuses them, too.

chickenreyna likes this.
  6. chickenreyna

Oct 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Lol lol i lol'd. That is a very good explanation. Thank you.! :)

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    My Fayoumi cockerel started crowing practice at exactly 28 days of age, and it was hilarious! He'd throw his little head back, so the pins that were going to be hackle feathers stood out straight, and made this one note sound. In a few days it was two notes, and it developed from there. Adorable! I always have adult roosters, so the younglings have someone to emulate. Still, the cockerels make the most amazing sounds at first.
    Practice! It takes practice!
    Mary

Mraya, sylviethecochin and azygous like this.
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I've had bantam cockerels start crowing while still in the brooder and large fowl not crow until 6 + months. Generally early 'crows' are rushed and squeaky.

sylviethecochin and azygous like this.
  9. Wildest

Wildest Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2015
    Colesville, NY
    I've had a couple different experiences with roosters and starting to crow. I'd have to say that the most common was a high pitch shrill (horror movie scream), with a strange gargle near the end note.

It is always amusing to listen to them practice.

azygous and sylviethecochin like this.
  10. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Or that gagging/ chocking sound. Or squeaking, especially in the bantam boys.
    Mary

11. TattooedChicks

TattooedChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2017
    Kansas City
    My Bantam Cochins were always trying around 3 months old and often sounded like rusted screen door hinges. So pitiful. :lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by