Can anyone explain why ?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by JLfarm, Dec 29, 2014.

1. JLfarm

JLfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Rayne lousiana
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here on the farm we raise pure bred pharaoh coturnix quail so how did I get a white one this is the first different colored bird I get in 20 years. Can someone please explain what could have happened. The pics are for comparison

2. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Are there any others hens or Roos whatsoever?

3. JLfarm

Aug 29, 2013
    Rayne lousiana
    Nope this is the only odd colored quail that I have.

4. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    The white birds have a simple recessive gene. At least two of your browns had this recessive gene for white and when they bred they produced this chick along with normal looking browns that might also carry the gene for white. (It's like two brown eyed humans having a blue eyed child.) I suspect you have introduced a new bird or two in your 20 years of breeding that had the gene for white and this chick cropped up, or much less likely, that this is a new mutation.

1 person likes this.
  5. JLfarm

Aug 29, 2013
    Rayne lousiana
    I've only introduced 1 bird a male when I first started I started with 20 birds 16 hens 4 males and I paired them r grouped them and a snake got in one of the cages and killed a male and I got one from a neighbor

6. Nesie

Nesie New Egg

Mar 29, 2014
    Louisiana
    How is your yellow chick doing? Mine turned white as it matured, but I am unable to sex it because it has no color markings. I guess I will have to wait and see what kind of voice it has! It is 2 1/2 weeks old now.

7. bigbuddha09

bigbuddha09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    nampa idaho
    call me crazy and i could be long but couldnt it be the rare chance that its a albino chick i mean i have never seen an albino bird before but surely they exist right. Although i would think it would be white from the start maybe not? or it could be a new mutation or something strange happened in its development to mess with its chromosomes i mean these are all just guesses that could be wrong but i just like to theorize i guess. [​IMG]

8. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Albinos occur in every species

9. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    If the bird has red eyes it is an albino! If it has black eyes, pigment it is not an albino.

10. Nesie

Nesie New Egg

Mar 29, 2014
    Louisiana
    Black eyes and 2 little black spots on its head

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by