Can anyone give additional info on my Aseels

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by theycallmevern, Jan 24, 2013.

1. theycallmevern

theycallmevern Chirping

Jan 23, 2013
    Loris sc
    [​IMG]

2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Songster

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    May I ask what type of additional information you are searching for?

3. theycallmevern

theycallmevern Chirping

Jan 23, 2013
    Loris sc
    What type of aseel . Color , breed , anything you can offer.

4. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Songster

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Well, Here's an article from GAC (Global Asil club)-

The Asil is a legendary breed originated in Ancient India and being used in cockfighting for centuries. According to archaeological findings cockfighting was a major pass-time in ancient India (Includes today's India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka) especially in Tamil Nadu and Indus valley civilization. At the beginning they used Jungle fowls and its variants in cockfighting later through trade and many naval expeditions Pandiyan rulers of South India imported the ancestors of today's Asils. Thus it found its way to India. There is also a speculation that Asils were derived from an extinct Jungle Fowl named Gallus Giganteus by cross breeding it with other chicken types.Cockfighting is one of the 64 kinds of Arts practiced by Tamils since ancient times for about 3500 years. It is also mentioned in ancient Tamil literature like Manu Needhi Sastiram, Kattu Seval Sastiram, and other sangam-age literature, 2,000 years old. It is referred to as the favourite past-time for Maravars or the warriors of Tamil Country. Asil, Aseel or Asli is only a recent name. There are many local names for these type of game fowls which are used since ancient times. In subcontinent in some places they still use their local names. Due to internet the name Asil or Aseel is becoming popular. Asil got its name during the Islamic rule of India. Asil, Aseel or Asli means "purebred"or "from pure decent'. Even the Arabian horses of the purest blood were known as Asil and crossbreeding with non-Asil horses was forbidden.These names are originally of Persian-Arabic origin.

Given, I don't know too much about this breed other than it's of obvious cockfighting decent, it's a game breed (which in turn has all of the game bird common knowledge to go with it) and that often times, Asil/Aseel varieties aren't really as defined as most breeds. Aseels are often a hodge podge of different genes mixed together, creating some pretty crazy colors. right off the bat I can see the the cock bird is BB-red or wheaten based and is also showing blue. the two back birds are showing mottled background, possibly some other mutations, I can't really tell from the angles. Who knows what genes they're really hiding though. The only true varieties of Aseels I've seen are black-breasted red and white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by