Can anyone give answer to problem?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by immyjay54, Jun 4, 2011.

1. immyjay54

immyjay54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi all,
    "First I want to say that I'm not trying to cause any problems nor am I talking down on anyone"
    I received 16 Brahma chicks from a good breeder 5/11/11, about the 3rd day started having terrible problems with the pasty butt which I took care of every day or two. May 18 I received another 13 same breed. I've done everything I know to do. During last two weeks I've lost 9 of them and then another this morning. Has anyone on here bought any of these chicks and if so am I the only one having problems with them? They don't seem to want the chick starter, I've even put it in food processor and ground it up like meal. If I sprinkle dry oatmeal in brooder, they jump right into it. I have 9 other chicks that I hatched (different breeds) on 19/20 May and they are fed the exact feed and water and eat like little piggy's and are as solid as a rock. Just wondering if it is something with this breed. I really don't want to mention breeders name on here and folks think that I'm trying to cause problems. Before just guessing, I've tried Probios in water which was suggested by breeder, I've moved heat lamp up and down, they have plenty of room to get out of heat if needed. The pasty butt problem is all but over but they still just don't act like any other chicks that I've raised and I've raised hundreds over the past 3 years. I've had chickens most of my life and I'm in my 60's.
    Thanks so much
    Jim

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    I am so sorry to hear that, I have not encountered a problem like that before. Have you used medicated feed or given them a round of antibiotics??
    You might want to get Poly v sol (without iron) and run it along the beak line so they drink it.
    Also you can try either some plain yogurt or a mixture of scrambled eggs with 2 tablespoons of Buttermilk to help them out....you may have to resort to hand feeding until they get better. If they are dying, then there is some illness hiting them....Hope someone else will come and answer that has delt with this.
    Best of luck !

--laura--

3. Rex Mom

Rex Mom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Castro Valley,CA
    Hi there~

I wouldn't blame the breeder.. there are so many variables when it comes to raising chicks.. so it just may be that batch. Chicks don't start off knowing where to eat and drink.. so if they like the oatmeal I would sprinkle it on the feed and that will encourage them to eat out of the feeder. Pasty butt normally comes from being too warm.. so what I would do is put a thermometer on the floor of the brooder under the lamp.. that will tell you how warm it's getting at the closest spot to the lamp. This way you can adjust the lamp as needed. As far as losing chicks.. are you sure they don't have coccidiosis? An easy thing to try is mix in some powdered milk (50/50)with the chick feed.. they love it and it will help coat their digestive tract and help them get through it. Certainly won't hurt them.

It's not unheard of to lose some chicks so be patient.. you'll get through it!

Susan

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:You'll hear no to but add a couple of teaspoons to a small chick waterer and see if that helps.

Also try a tbsp of ACV apple cider vinegar to the water as well.

Sorry that you're having sure a hard time with that breed. I sometimes have problems with Maranas and Wellie chicks, so I do the above and it usually helps.

5. immyjay54

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Worltracks,
    You said add a couple of teaspoons but didn't say of what or did you mean the ACV.
    I use ACV

6. immyjay54

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Believe me everyone. I'm not giving up on these as long as they are alive I will be doing anything/everything that I can think of. lol I got them because they are just such a beautiful bird at maturity. I had thought of maybe selling a pair or two to local folks but I don't know if I will ever get into that. lol I would never put this problem on anyone else if it is the breed.
    The Probios does what yogurt etc would do. I do feel that I'm not as bad off as a breeder that I talked with just a few days ago. This is a very big breeder that had gotten a few of the same and lost all of theirs in a matter of 3 days.
    NOOOOO, I'm not blaming breeder. The person I got them from is a very good person and I will never say anything against him. I really think it is just something with the breed. As I said, I have other chicks almost the same age and they are eating, drinking the exact same food, water and doing just super. I've never had these problems with any other breed. NEVER

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    My bad!

Sugar

sorry [​IMG]

8. immyjay54

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Maybe you are getting up to my age. I do this quite often. lol

9. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:Maybe you are getting up to my age. I do this quite often. lol

I'm pretty old! LOL

10. immyjay54

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I just thought that I should let you all know that I think that whatever was going on with the chicks is over. I haven't lost any for over a week and what's left all seem to be doing just super great. The first batch that I got were hatched 5/9/11 and the second batch were hatched 5/11/11. In the first batch, there were 8 buff laced and 8 gold laced. The second batch I got 13 gold laced. Of these I now have 7 buff laced and 12 gold laced. I'm thinking also that just maybe the second batch may have caught something on the way by being shipped in and brought it in. This was the first time I ever put two batches of chicks together. Both came from the same breeder exactly 1 week apart so I didn't think it would hurt but who knows. Anyway I'm glad that these are doing just fine now and again, I'm sure not blaming the breeder. I thank him so much for the chance to have a group of Dan Powell Brahmas. I do feel with 19 left, I will at least get a few pairs to mate up next year if I decide to. lol Thanks for all the input.
    Jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by