1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone give me advice?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickathon, Dec 20, 2011.

1. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    I have a coyote problem. I have just one (I think). I know how to catch coons and oppossums. Do I try to live trap or do I wait and try to shoot the booger when it shows up. And, if I live trap what do I use for bait. It's sniffing around my chicken run and making me nervous. It is leagal to kill ones who are making a pest out of themselves. They were not native here. The DNR released them a few years ago. What were they thinking?[​IMG]

2. 6RandomBrownLayers

6RandomBrownLayers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2011
    I think they make live traps big enough, I would use meat of some sort, i.e. chicken, beef, pork. I don't really know. I have coyotes around here but have never seen one in person or on my trail cam so they aren't much of a problem. I don't know if you hunt or not but if you had left over deer scraps? Or you could try and get a raccoon or possum and take care of 2 predators at the same time? [​IMG]:confused: Good luck though.

3. eggboy

eggboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    CA
    I would recommend using some jaw traps for coyote. Bait the traps with Bobcat urine (can be bought at hunting supply stores) and or some kind of meat. Be sure to check the trap every day because coyotes are known to sometimes chew off their own foot to get out of a trap. also keep the trap away from where your chickens go if they are free range because they could also be accidentally trapped in one. Hunting is another option but unless you are good at hunting it is hard to get them to come in. If you decide to hunt them however I recommend using a rabbit in distress call or a coyote howler such as the Primos Hotdog.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They tend to be very box trap wary. Snares or legholds work very well, and shooting is a guaranteed solution. Generally if you are plagued by a family unit, removing one member smartens the others up in a hurry. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by