1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone give me some post-college advice?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickerdoodle13, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is my last year in college and I'm realizing that I have to start making some very big decisions now! I will be signing up to take GREs towards the end of October because I read it is wise to have them before November. This gives me a chance to take them a second time should I fail terribly the first time! So my first step before graduating is to study for them (I did not do so well on the SATs, so I'm hoping I do better on these!)

Anyways, I will be graduating with a major in biology (with a track in pre-professional studies, should I decide to move onto med or vet school in the future). I will have a minor in Business. I did some research last year in micro biology and I enjoyed that, but at this point I'm not sure if that's what I'd like to spend the rest of my life doing. I also like biochem and animals, but again I'm just undecided. I will be making an appointment to speak with my biochem professor this week to see if she might have some advice for me. She seems like she would be a very helpful person to ask.

Right now I'm researching grad schools, but I'm not sure that this is the most wise thing for me to do right out of college. It seems like I have to be very decided and specific about what I'd like to study in grad school. I've also considered internships for this summer or next year, but I'm not even sure where to start looking. I would really like to stay home for a bit after college, but the way things are looking right now, I'm not sure that will be possible. I just hate the thought of paying rent and having to work full time while attending school/internship to be able to afford that! It's do-able, it will just take some extra stress to do!

I know things will work out in the end, but this is all a huge stressor for me. There's a lot of pressure from my family to find a good job (and from myself as well) but its difficult to convince them that right out of college I will not be making $100,000. Heck, I'd be lucky to even make $30,000.

Does anyone have some good advice for me, or perhaps websites where I can begin looking for internships/jobs/grad schools? I figure there ought to be some people here in the biology field.

2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Not your field, at all, but DH will finish his Bach in December so it's been discussed.

He COULD do certification and teach HS, and start working on his Masters in the hope of eventually teaching college level classes. It would be teaching experience, as opposed to manual labor, so better for him physically AND resume wise. Plus the increase in salary wouldn't hurt at all.

OR he could go ahead and start work on his Masters, while he still has the guaranteed job that'll work with his school schedule... no guarantee that he'd be able to hack it/allowed to if he was teaching full time.

Long discussions on the subject, but he's decided to keep on with school. It can't hurt, but it could very much help. After he has his Masters he could still do the Cert to teach HS while he waits for a College position to be available... and in this district at least, that Masters is worth an extra $1500/yr so financially a good bet too. And he can't really even try to apply for a college position until he has at least a Masters. Since that's what he wants to do, makes sense to get it under his belt ASAP. He is already 30 after all.

That's the scoop for his particular field, Philosophy (though he could easily teach History, Science, Math or English with H or E being his Favs at the HS level)

Definitely talk to the folks at your school. They'll be able to tell you just what jobs your degree is good for, what doors a Masters in this that and that other would open... and so on. Until you know your options it's hard to make a decision.

3. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Does your family recognize what a hard time this is to be entering the job market??? [​IMG]

When you are graduating from college and you've spent the last 20 years of your life essentially focused on achieving this goal, actually achieving it can be scary. OK, I did it! Now, what? [​IMG]

If you have undergrad debt look for work. Grad school seems like a great idea and it can be, but it can also be a way to put off the inevitable and corner you even more into a field you may not be certain of and a debt which will constrict your options.

Talking to your prof is a good idea. Look for what career paths you may take, but also look for jobs (yes there is a difference) sometimes a job can lead you to a carer you had never considered! The work world of each field is so very different that it can take time to find what career actually has the jobs that you actually want to do!

You need a job to make some income, but many people make major career path changes well after they graduate so breathe! With any luck you will be in the working world for far more years than you have been alive to this point! Hard to imagine, but true! What you do in your very first job is unlikely to be what you do for your career. [​IMG]

See if your prof can hook you up with people who work in the field you are interested in so they can tell you more about what they actually do all day! [​IMG] You'll be fine! [​IMG]

4. gogoalie

gogoalie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    What makes you think you have to work right outta college? Why not just go on a temp. sabbatical? Reward yerself & get lost in the world & spread yer wings...you may find some inspiration & guidence in that...

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for the awesome advice so far guys. It is really helpful!

Luckily out of college, I will hardly have any loans to pay. My tuition was paid for by scholarships and my dad is helping me out with the housing loans. I am VERY lucky in this respect. However, I will have bills to pay once I'm done with school, as this was the agreement my parents and I have. I'm not overly worried though, because I know they will help support me until I get on my feet enough to support myself.

I'm currently researching internships and I found a couple that interest me. I think I will start with writing my resume. Seems like a good place to begin.

Are there any good websites that I can start looking at different jobs available in my field? That might give me more of an idea what is available in my area as far as jobs go.

6. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I can't speak from my personal experiance since I never went to college, but I can tell you what my daughter did her last year in college.

She waited tables and bartended all the way thru college basically working full time to pay her everyday living expenses while attending classes. During her senior year she also got an internship in her chosen field while still working her other job and going to classes and being newly married. A couple of months before graduation she began applying for jobs and was hired at the job she still has 5 years later. Her internship job helped lead to her current job since her boss there had ties to her current job and gave her good reviews. In this job market I don't think you can afford to set back after graduation and then start looking into the job market. They look at everything in your school and job history....I know that helped her immensely. They want people that they know are hard workers.....and will stick with something. It took her 5 1/2 years to graduate since she couldn't always take a full load of classes and I often felt badly that we weren't in a position to help her out more, but I know in the long run it only helped her. Don't wait...look for an internship and start getting your foot in the door somewhere.

8. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    All I have to say is good luck, and stay in school if you can. I graduated in 2007 right when this lovely recession started with a B.S. in Human Biology and a minor in Chem. I spent one year trying to get a job that had something to do with what I went to school for and ended up working part time in a cheese factory lab. Right now I am between jobs due to family stuff (too long of a story to explain right here and now).

I have taken the PCAT, and the GRE. Both tests are doable if you give yourself enough time to do some studying. There are many good books available and practice tests for you to prepare with.

I HOPE in your area there are plenty of jobs in the scientific field, but also remember that right now the job market stinks and there are 200 applicants for every job; that is why I suggest you stay in school. Is there another Major you could obtain without having to take too many more classes?????

9. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    It is a tricky time to be graduating for sure. The internship option is a great route into a full time position perhaps. Getting a teaching certificate is also a good option. High schools are option looking for qualified science teachers.

The grad school option though does offer some nice possibilities. Sometimes it is easier to stay in school rather than go back to school. Right now you can find some decent graduate assistantships to help with costs. If you go on through the PhD level you care qualified to teach at the college level. Teaching college is a FABULOUS job!! [​IMG]

Good luck either way. It is a scary time as your life shifts in a huge way.

10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Congrats on making this far. Do you realize how many people don't make it to their SR year??! [​IMG]

When I graduated I thought, "hmmm, I'll take a year to do whatever and then go back and do grad-school" Life got in the way and here I am 24 years later, with no Masters!

I think and internship would be a great way of "getting your feet wet" in an area that may hold interest for you. You never know where it may lead. If it ends up not being something you like, cross that one off your list and move on to something new.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by