Can anyone guess the sex of my 2 barred rock chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by oliviaandjosh4, Mar 8, 2015.

1. oliviaandjosh4

oliviaandjosh4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2014
    I bought 2 barred rock chicks today that are one week old. I read online you can determine the sex of barred rocks pretty easily, but I just want someone else's opinion. I will post pics below in comments since it won't let me on here. Thanks in advance!

2. oliviaandjosh4

Apr 28, 2014
    FIRST CHICK:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SECOND CHICK:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Going by the tricks with the head spot and the black wash on the legs, those would be males. Females have a very neat head spot and dark black wash down the front of their legs. Males have a messy spread out head spot and little black wash.

4. oliviaandjosh4

Apr 28, 2014
    seriously?? [​IMG]

5. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Yes, sorry :( Can you keep roosters?

6. oliviaandjosh4

Apr 28, 2014
    I could probably keep one of them. I have some other chicks as well, some showing to be cockerels. I don't like to keep too many roosters as I have had bad experiences with them and I don't want any fighting. But with all the chickens we are going to have, probably about thirty hens, we will need more than one rooster.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    It's too young to tell if they are hens or roosters, sorry.

8. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    x2

9. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

It's actually not, using the sexing tricks for barred rocks listed above. See here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/798635/sight-sexing-barred-plymouth-rock-chicks-at-hatch

Taking a second look, the first chick might be a pullet - it has a darker wash on the legs than I had noticed the first time. It'll be really easy to tell as soon as they start to feather out - the males look much lighter than females as pictured in the above link. Hopefully the link above will help - it's hard to be sure with the picture being washed out because of the red, but look for a defined head spot versus a 'loose' head spot.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  10. aviddamy

aviddamy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2014
    Yuma, AZ
    Based on my experience with them, which isn't a ton, I'd say the first one is a female and the 2nd one is a male. The one with the dark wash further down is likely the female. You'll be able to tell pretty quickly which is which. One of them should feather out quite a bit lighter than the other. That is the male. I was able to identify my rooster within a couple of weeks. It was that obvious. He was the only one that didn't have the dark wash on his feet all the way to his toes and his comb was twice the size and pink at 2-3 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by