can anyone guess what breed is laying these HUMONGOUS eggs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pinkyglory123, Dec 17, 2010.

1. pinkyglory123

pinkyglory123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    [​IMG]

I have two hens laying GINORMOUS eggs. I don't think it is any of the girls I got this spring as day olds as they are all laying eggs that have been slowly going from pullet to medium to large size. The eggs in question are probably three inches long-beyond extra large. One is light brown the other very pale brown tinted. My suspects would be two golden laced wyandottes or two light brahma hens relatively recently acquired as adult hens. Any guesses? Kind of a what breed is this in reverse. both the brahma and wyandottes are lovely mature deep bodied hens purchased at auction.

2. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    when Pullets first start laying, their eggs are rather small, then medium like you said- An adult hen either Wyandotte or Brahma will lay a large to xtra large light brown eggs. As far as which hen, I can't tell you, maybe you can put a tiny bit of food coloring on the vent of one of them, and the egg with that color smear on it will tell you who it is???
    My Golden laced Wyandotte has laid ginormous eggs sometimes, each one was a double yolker- but they were HUGE -almost the size of a goose egg.
    Good luck finding who it is. [​IMG]

3. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:Do you have cornishX's

4. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    Yea, I was about to say the same thing about the cornish X's. Mine laid eggs that were double and TRIPLE yolker all the time! Weird! Hahaha! But they were white eggs.....so I'm gonna ditto Chick4chix. [​IMG]

5. pinkyglory123

pinkyglory123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Quote:You know C4C I think you may be right-I bet it is the GLWs. They are lovely deep bodied birds...these eggs ARE goose sized! Have not had one for years but I am a major fan of these two. I am liking them more and more!Not to mention they are beautiful to look at. I think I am developing a favorite! thanks.

6. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I got rid of my GLW and SLW because my leghorns lay bigger eggs. Since then, I have asked around and found that small egg size compared to large body size is an issue with the wyandottes.

So, I would guess something else !

7. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    My turken hens lays goose sized eggs pretty regularly which is always double yokers. My columbian wyandottes lays the smallest eggs of all my different breeds of chickens but the columbian wyandottes are so beautiful.

8. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    My Wyandotte and Brahma hens have always laid small/medium sized eggs. In that young batch would you have to have any of those auto sexing breeds (Sex Links, Golden Comet, Red Star) those girls can lay some big eggs?

9. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Hey Chicks, I was just gonna say, they are probably double yolkers. You should watch the video on BYC about the lady who hatched a few Double Yokers and how she did it. Its awesome. Most people say they never make it, but...better watch that video. [​IMG]

10. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    Well- here's to all you "doubting Thomas's" out there who think Wyandottes don't lay large eggs- a couple of photos of the "whoppers" my GLW has laid several times. The SLW lays xtra large eggs too. The GLW lays a jumbo egg and the SLW lays a large- to Xtra large. [​IMG]

[im[​IMG]g]

[​IMG]
    This one is next to three large eggs and couldn't close the carton

[​IMG]
    Here is the fluff butt that laid it [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by