1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone help-black spots on feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mirmle, Jul 3, 2007.

1. mirmle

mirmle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2007
    Ingersoll, ON Canada
    My Penelope seemed to have some poop between her toes..when it was still there a day after I noticed, it was clear she wasn't getting it off herself, so I took her in to wash her feet...I went to rub it off, and realized that in the center there was raw skin...it wasn't poop at all...I stopped right away, and put her to bed...today I notice her other foot has a small dark spot just like the other foot....I've gone through 20 pages and havent found anyone with something like this...any suggestions??? I think she's about 3 months old...there were 10 chicks (I kept two for the "city" and my mom took the rest to the "country") She seems to be the only one with this...don't seem to hurt her, but she keeps at them...:[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Try looking up "bumblefoot".

3. mirmle

mirmle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2007
    Ingersoll, ON Canada
    Thanks for the try--I looked up pictures, and it doesn't seem to be the same thing--its on the top side of the feet between the toes...it came on fast, because yesterday she only had it on the one foot...gonna try to get a picture tomorrow...thanks though

4. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    You can try Coronado cream. They gave it to me when my boys had blisters on their wattles and combs and it is clearing up. It smells good too.

5. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    This is EXACTLY what started with my chick that just died today. Her feet started with cracks and scabbiness between toes, eventually she started to limp, then it seemed to spread to her whole body. Nobody knows why.

I hope your chick doesnt wind up the same way!!

I would at the very least put something like triple antibiotic ointment on the lesions.

6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    see section on vit B6 and Biotin deficiency:
    http://compepid.tuskegee.edu/syllabi/pathobiology/pathology/avianmed/chapter6.html

get a liquid childrens vitamin supplement which provides these two and give three drops in beak for a week then taper off.
    Not saying this will be the primary cause (malabsorption caused from something else might also be the case and the deficiency but a secondary complication)

7. Cheri

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Well mine didn't die. He just looks peaky. His blisters are drying up nicely. I will be glad when he molts and his new feathers come in.

8. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    might also be pox if they look like blisters (pox will sometimes appear on feet too) ...you need to dab iodine on them and just sit it out in that case

9. Cheri

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Yeah I gots the pox. Well Foggy does. Could that cause bloody poo?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by