1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can anyone help ID this **PIC**

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Dar, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    we found these foot prints on our front porch... that is a Canadian quarter for a size comparison ... thanks

I dont think its a cat.. not shaped the right way I am thinking raccoon or possum

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  2. mkearsley

mkearsley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    South-west Idaho
    It's not a racoon or opossum, they both have hand-shaped prints (like a person's hand). If it has claw marks, its probably a red fox. If there's no claw marks, its gotta be a cat. If its not a house cat, it could be a bobcat. Both bobcat & fox prints are around 2" in diameter. A pika is also has a really round footprint, its only about 1" in diamter, it also has little clawmarks.

The more I look at your prints & the prints in my book, the more I think its a pika (a little critter about the size of a squirrel, but looks more like a chipmunk).

3. KateB39

KateB39 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  4. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    From that chart, looks like a bobcat. Do you have them in your area? Are you rural?
    Better lock up those birdies good.

5. Roy

Roy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Central Illinois
    Looks like a domestic cat to me...

6. Hoosierchickens

Hoosierchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Cloverdale, IN
    They seem small for a Bobcat. They have pretty big feet compared to their body size. My guess based on size and shape is cat.

7. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Way two small to be bobcat. The only bobcat prints I've ever seen where almost the size of my pit bull's foot prints...

8. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I thought they were wide and big for a domestic cat.

9. greatergraceoffbg

greatergraceoffbg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Those are not bobcats tracks, the tracks in snow are usually a slight bit bigger than the feet and a Bobcats foot is three times the size of that quarter, a domestic house cat is your best bet, but another possibility is a skunk, or if you're in Canada one of several members of the weasel family, Martins, black tailed ferrets etc, the mention of the Red fox is also a very very likely possibility because they are very uninhibited by people and would be comfortable near your house looking for mice and other critters that stick close to people in very cold weather. Any of these are bad for chickens or fowl, but I have learned that many more critters go near your fowl, but do not go after them than you would think, and generally during a good snow you find out who's around. If its not bothering your birds, i wouldn't worry at all.

Andy in Texas

10. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    I think they probably belong to a domestic cat. I have several cats with feet that big.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by