Can anyone help identify the breed of my little 8 week old Pullet?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chalmen, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Chalmen

Chalmen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2009
    Cumberland (near Ottawa)
    We call her our little mystery chick....I still have not been able to tell what breed she is....hoping some of you experts can help out!!

As soon as I can figure out how to post the picture....this will all make more sense to everybody!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    100% RiR says my 13 year old and 6 year old My first guess would also be RiR exept I really don't need to guess rhode island reds make up 60% of my farm flock have fun with her she is a laying machine.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  3. Chalmen

Oct 29, 2009
    Cumberland (near Ottawa)
    Thanks for the reply! I have a bantam Rhode Island Red pullet as well..doesn't look at all like this one...which I why I wanted to ask others. This one has a bit of feathers on the top of the head that brush back....and the stripe along the eyeline...which I thought might be a sure identifier...

4. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    The "crest" feathers do not look like a RIR, and does she have a pea comb too? I could not tell if the comb was a single comb, but appears to be a pea comb.Are we sure if she is a mix breed or not? She is very pretty ! [​IMG] Where did you get her?

5. dsowens15

dsowens15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Winchester, TN
    I don't think its a crest. Could but just the new feathers coming in, but the beak seems to be a little more darker then most RIR.
    Where did the bird come from?

6. honeychild903

honeychild903 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Powderly
    Looks like she may have polish in her. I have gold polish and they look alot like this one. Especially the eyes and beak. Feathers also same color but no white.

7. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:Hmm Good Point Its most certainly Colored Like the RiR. Yet it does have a Small Bit of Lift to the crown. The legs strike me also they by that size should really have a yellowish tint.
    [​IMG]
    This Bird is Probably 9 weeks old in this pic. But you can tell the Comb development and see how Yellow the legs are. Let me Go outside and look at my brooder house I have some that are 4 weeks and some 2 weeks old. Ok the Comb is definatly Not of RiR At this age you should see some development. The markings Are definatly RiR But another thing that throws me Off is the rich red, Also the beak Is a darker color then my RiR's Most RiR have a Pinkish beak with a dark tip. This Might be throwing a Curve Ball but perhaps its a Production Red. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3182/2787800701_688bc94bde_m.jpg

8. Chalmen

Oct 29, 2009
    Cumberland (near Ottawa)
    Thanks all! He beak is black - so she isn't RIR. Not much of a comb...but just these cute feathers on her head....I can try and get a clearer picture of her later today. I got her from a friend (a reliable chicken friend) who hatched her from an egg swap. I am quite certain she is purebred. We are all stumped on this one! Will have to let her grow up a little more!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by