1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can anyone help identify these chickens please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jnet72, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Jnet72

Jnet72 New Egg

Mar 4, 2012
    Hi,
    Could anyone please identify these chickens,
    thanks so much

[​IMG]

2. Hezz

Hezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    The one in the background could possibly be a Jersey Giant or an Australorp, from the look of the legs, but if you could take better pic of it, and with the face that would be better. Not seeing the whole bird makes it difficult. Also, if the bottoms of her feet are yellow, she's a Jersey Giant. If they are pinkish in color, she's an Australorp. Or she could be a cross of something.

The one in the front looks to me like a Barred Rock.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    x2

4. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    What color are the legs of the chicken in front? They look kind of white to me and if they are then it's not a barred rock, it's a maran.

5. kcaywood

kcaywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    My guesses are 1) Australorp and 2) Cuckoo Maran.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    barred one is a marans

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Doubt that's a Marans, too good of barring.

8. Jadefield1

Jadefield1 New Egg

Feb 23, 2012
    I don't know "the Marans" yet, as I don't own or breed them, but am hugely interested and intrigued by them.
    One desired trait is the feathered shanks and this bird does not appear to have that sought after characteristic.
    I would suspect the bird in photo may be of a production strain of Barred Plymouth Rock, due to the lack of
    size and yellow legs (obviously a Standard Plymouth Rock attribute). Pardon me for saying, neither bird appears
    to be of Exhibition Stock or "of type" of Standard Bred Poultry. Just my opinion.........

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Most Barred Rocks out there are hatchery stock, bred for production, far from the standard. Same goes with Marans especially Cuckoos, and they're English type, that's why one wouldn't have the feathered shanks.

10. Hezz

Hezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    Here's a pic of a Barred Rock Rooster and Hen. Neither of them have yellow legs either.

[​IMG]

And here are some pullets.....As you can see, they don't always have yellow legs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by