Can anyone help identify these duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Baylor, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Baylor

Baylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2011
    Just got a box from Metzer Farms and here is what I ordered but I only know which ones the Chocolate Runners are since they had pencil markings on them. All others...nothing!
    3 Rouen
    4 Blue Swedish
    3 Buff
    4 Cayuga
    3 Blue Runners
    3 Chocolate Runners

[​IMG]

2. americanvalkyrie

americanvalkyrie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    Reno, NV
    The bottom ones with the mottled gray are cayuga. I don't know about the others.

3. Baylor

Baylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2011
    Thanks those are the ones I am most interested in hatching and I couldnt tell because they looked dirty just scraped clean? The top 3 to the right are the Chocolate runners (one of them is labeled and they are all same size) other ones around are much bigger. So are the 2 huge blue ones Rouens?

4. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    Blue Swedish lay nice sized white ones, Cayugas also lay nice sized ones, gray to black. That's all I know. Good Luck!
    Lisa

5. americanvalkyrie

americanvalkyrie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    Reno, NV
    Cayuga eggs look like you took a white egg and rolled it in a firepit. They can start out black, then fade to gray, then to almost white when they're a ways into the laying season. It's a cuticle layer put on at the last stage of egg production, so it does look kind of dirty.

You can probably assume that the blue runner eggs are the same color as the chocolate runners.

My daughter told me that Blue Swedish lay a blue/green or white egg. But hers are just ducklings, so I don't have any first-hand experience on that.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Blue Swedish eggs have a very vague blue tint to them. You would have to compare them to something stark white to see it. So my guess is that the row up from the Cayugas are the Swedish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by