Can anyone help identify this breed/cross?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sjshaw1980, Dec 2, 2012.

1. sjshaw1980

sjshaw1980 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2012
    New Jersey
    This is our 8 month old pullet Caspar, she is 2lb. 14oz. as of this morning. We bought her as an easter egger but she lays cocoa/medium reddish brown eggs. As you can see she's fairly small, almost all white with a little bit of black flecking here and there all over her body, orange eyes, single comb and she has lightly feathered shanks like a langshan and white/pink skin. No beard or muffs.

We were thinking she is a langshan/delaware cross but really have no clue. The man we got her from didn't specify her heritage, but he did say he was breeding cuckoo marans and true araucanas to get easter eggers. Any thoughts would be super helpful! Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    She's the cross that he advertised her to be. The feathered shanks and pink legs are from the Marans ancestry, her comb looks to be a mix of pea and straight, which would make sense. However, I am seeing Leghorn too, which would also make sense if he's breeding to manipulate egg-color. White eggs make a wonderful base for blues and greens.

3. sjshaw1980

Aug 18, 2012
    New Jersey
    So maybe one parent was a leghorn/araucana cross and the other was a marans, so the white dominant color came through but she retained the skin and egg color of a marans with the feathered shanks and single comb?

4. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

She could be a white maran.A white sport from cuckoo marans that have recessive white in their breeding??[​IMG] .Could you post a pic of her eggs?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  5. sjshaw1980

Aug 18, 2012
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]
    These are her eggs from the last week or two. She's stopped laying as of last week

6. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

I may have been wrong on my guess.Maran eggs are supposed to be much darker.Whatever she is,she is a looker.

7. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Probably is a mix of what he has unless a hen had a fling with the rooster next door. ;)

8. sjshaw1980

Aug 18, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thank you! She is mighty sexy! ;)
    Just gotta figure out what she is!

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    a mix. an ee is any chicken that carries the blue egg laying gene weather that gene is expressed or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by