Can anyone help identify this hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BobsChickens, Jul 30, 2014.

1. BobsChickens

BobsChickens Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2014
    [​IMG]
    This is Comet. We had her a couple of years ago (sadly, not any more, since we had to give her away when we moved) and we bought her at a kind-of egg farm with some Golden Buffs/Red Stars/Red sex links that the farm sold as "brown chickens" (idiots...). We don't know what breed she was--maybe a Red Star, too. I considered the idea of her being a Buff Orphington, but they seem lighter in color (Comet has golden feathers that shine in the sun around her neck, too) and fatter, although Comet's not the thinnest chicken we've ever owned. [​IMG]
    No idea how old she is. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    does look like a Red Star/Gold Star

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    It could be a Red Sex Link (Red Star, Gold Star), but they usually have a considerable amount of white feathers in the tail which I'm not seeing on this bird.

4. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    The longer I stare at it, particularly the feather pattern in the neck area, the more I think it is a Red Sex Link (just with less white feathers than usual in the tail).

5. BobsChickens

BobsChickens Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2014
    Thanks everyone :)
    The lighting in this picture's not the best for ID I guess...she had no white feathers in her tail and some black streaks in there instead.

6. JennieRD

JennieRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Need help with this hen I believe she is less than 4 months old we've had her a month, given to us because she didn't lay eggs! Go figure she's still growing ! She is just now getting green and tan heighlights in her feathering. I'm not to familiar with breeds with black legs! Any guesses! She has doubled her size in a month, she was the same size as my black Cochin bantam when we got her but now she has well out grown him and stands about 14 to 16 inches maybe a little more head to ground her back about 12 inches from the ground and maybe 5-6 lbs give or take . Maybe a jersey cross?

7. JennieRD

JennieRD Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

8. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I curious how red (as opposed to gold) she would be in better lighting (more or less). The reason why is I'm wondering if she might be a Production Red instead of a Red Sex Link. Either way, she is definitely a red gened hybrid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by