Can anyone help me by telling me if the chicks are male or female Thanks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vichee53, Aug 23, 2013.

1. vichee53

vichee53 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    The first one is female, you can tell by the body shape and lack of comb and wattles. Also the feathering is female, no pointy hackle or saddle feathers.
    The white one is male. You can tell by the blotchy, uneven coloring. Also the back of the neck looks to have hackle feathers. The green iridescent tail feathers are rooster feathers and are starting to curl down.

1 person likes this.
  3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    This is what I'd say, too. In fact, any time you have a bird with those dark red patches on the shoulders, you'll looking at a cockerel. A pullet will have a more overall pattern.

1 person likes this.
  4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I got your Ovation--thanks, I love those!

I did want to give you one word of warning--make sure they are dark red patches that break the overall pattern on the body, and they are "blotchy" for lack of a better word, before you cull based on color.

Male Easter Egger, five weeks old. See the red patches, that break the overall pattern on his body?
    [​IMG]

Female RIR cross, 20 weeks old. See how she has the patches, but they are lighter and part of an overall pattern on her wing?
    [​IMG]

I don't want you to cull too early and accidentally cull a pullet. Looking at the color pattern on a bird and knowing whether it's male or female does take a bit of practice. When I first got chickens, years and years ago, I simply couldn't tell by looking. Now, I can often tell with EEs and other crosses as soon as they feather out. (not all birds will do this--I have some blue and black Ameraucanas right now that I simply have no idea on most of them). Here are some other boys showing the red in the shoulders to help you decide on yours. See how the red breaks the overall pattern on the bird, and they look patchwork?:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by