1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone help me determine the sex of these four babies?? :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kelzp77, Sep 4, 2014.

1. kelzp77

kelzp77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Gainesville, Florida
    Hello All,

I am fairly new to the chicken world and this was my first time hatching my own babies. I "think" I have three little girls and one roo, but I would like a second opinion... They will be 8 weeks old this Sunday.

Chick #1 Lavender Ameraucana

[​IMG]

Chick #2 French Blue Copper Maran (roo suspect)

[​IMG]

Chick #3 Silver laced Wyandotte

[​IMG]

Chick #4 Dominique

[​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Chick 2 and probably Chick 3 are cockerels. The others, especially the first one, are looking like pullets. However, the first bird is not a Lavender Ameraucana, as she has feathered feet. More likely, she's a Cochin or Blue Langshan mix.

3. kelzp77

Sep 4, 2014
    Gainesville, Florida
    Oh boy.... thank you for the quick response! The man that I got the fertile eggs from didn't have either of those breeds you mentioned. How in the world did I end up with that! lol Maybe he didn't know what breed he had! ;) Thanks again for the help!!! I need all of it I can get.

4. sunflower4you

sunflower4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    Don't silkies have the feathered feet, as well? Could be a silkie cross?

5. kelzp77

Sep 4, 2014
    Gainesville, Florida
    I am not sure. The breeder I bought the eggs from only had what he called "heritage breed" chickens, maybe that will help narrow it down. I sent him pics when they were just hatched and he said it was a lavender ameraucana, but at that time I didn't notice any feathers on her feet. I haven't been able to get back in contact with him. I would like to know what I have, for certain. She is very sweet and curious about everything I do. :)

6. ashtree

ashtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2014
    oklahoma hills
    A silkie cross would show some sign of silkie and would most likely have at least 1 of the following: black skin, 5 toes, a walnut comb, and/or a crest. I doubt this bird has any silkie. Maybe a french splash marans? They have feathered feet right? I can't see the comb clearly but it looks single. Either way beautiful bird :)

7. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    First bird looks like a splash maran

2 and 3 are roosters, with 4 possibly being a rooster also

8. kelzp77

Sep 4, 2014
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks again everyone for your input! Very much appreciated!!

9. larush

larush Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2014
    oHIo
    2 and 3 are definitely future crowers. We also have a Silver Wyandotte roo, and he has an EXCELLENT temperament. Respectful of us and his girls, but vigilant. Here he was at 5 weeks. Already showing roo symptoms.

[​IMG]

10. kelzp77

Sep 4, 2014
    Gainesville, Florida
    He's adorable!!! My SLW seems to be really sweet now, I just worry about the near future. I hope to find him and the other little BCM a good home, though I hate to part with them as I am already attached. Thanks for the input and the pic!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by