Can anyone help me here?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickenrandomness, Nov 13, 2011.

1. i'm getting a laptop for Christmas. Could anyone help me out to choose one?
    My grandparents are getting it for me and have a budget of $500 including shipping costs and anything else with it
    I'm looking for a laptop:

that is fast so i can download lots of games

that is relatively virus resistant or at least comes with a reliable antivirus software

has a CD/DVD drive

Has lots of space on it (around 320GB)

and runs on Windows

thanks in advance!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  2. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    Why not get a refurbished Mac? They're fast, virus resistant, they all have a DVD drive, and you can always buy storage later for them, even though they have around 32 GB. Remember, a GB is a lot of space

3. Quote:i'll have to look into that

i'll need all the GBs i can get because of all the games i plan on downloading [​IMG]

the thing about Macs is that they don't run on windows though. theres nothing wrong with the Mac program, but its just one of the main games i'm looking to download (World of Tanks) on;y works on Windows right now

4. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Quote:i'll have to look into that

i'll need all the GBs i can get because of all the games i plan on downloading [​IMG]

the thing about Macs is that they don't run on windows though. theres nothing wrong with the Mac program, but its just one of the main games i'm looking to download (World of Tanks) on;y works on Windows right now

Windows can run as a service on Macs if set up properly.

5. Quote:i'll have to look into that

Windows can run as a service on Macs if set up properly.

really? but doesn't that slow down Macs?

6. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Acer makes a good computer, and is one of the least expensive. You can get a lot of 'stuff' for the $500. My daughters Acer netbook is almost 3 years old and we haven't had any issues. Get a dual or quad core processor, and look for at minimum 2 gb RAM and 2.0 GHz.

You need virus protection. All computers, especially those running on Windows are prone to viruses. I'm using Norton for the first time, and love it! I had been using McAfee for many years, and just became use to to the issues...so far no issues with Norton (lagging during scans, software update problems, etc.)

Just a personal opinion, I like purchasing extended warranties. I usually use them at some point...just got a new hard drive in my Dell [​IMG] But I haven't really needed it for the Acer.

7. Stephanie739

Oct 7, 2011
    Quote:Not enough RAM in the Apple. I have never heard of the other brand.

8. Stephanie739

Oct 7, 2011
    Quote:Not enough RAM in the Apple. I have never heard of the other brand.

The Linux OS is installed instead of Windows. Its Freeware. I think Linux is probably very good, and will probably try it one day, but I think (just my impression) it might be better for people who are really computer savvy (imo w/o ever using it) You would have to purchase Windows if you wanted that as your operating system.

9. Stephanie739

Oct 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by