1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone help me identify these chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Trixie27FL, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Trixie27FL

Trixie27FL Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    I was given one chick and purchased the other two, but I have no idea what breeds they are! Can anyone help me identify the breeds? I think I might have three different kinds? They are between 4 and 5 weeks old. I live in Florida, where it is 98 during the day and around 75 at night. Is it ok to turn them out in a coop at this point?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank you for the help, I'm afraid I'm a bit clueless about raising chicks!

Tammy

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    The black one appears to be a Barred Plymouth Rock.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Also, excuse my manners, and [​IMG]

Glad you are with us. There is a lot of information here to help you along the way.

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    [​IMG]

The two chicks in the bottom picture appear to be a Barred Plymouth Rock on the left (pullet - girl) and the green legged one *should* be an Easter Egger. First picture I do not know.

5. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Agree Barred rock pullet and EE not sure if MorF, and the 1st one looks like a RIR to me. That's a big maybe on the coop idea, not sure what you have built, the temp shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  6. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    1st picture is a Rhode Island Red, Second picture b&w is a barred plymouth Rock and the little cream colored one might be a Bantam Easter Egger, at this angle she looks much smaller!

7. BeetleChick

BeetleChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    East of Raleigh, NC
    I'm in NC, ours have been out in the coop since they were 4 weeks old, they are 8 weeks old now. We don't have any other chickens, just these 12, they love being out in their run. They did need a heat lamp a few nights when it dropped in the 50s and 60s, but that's not a problem now.

8. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    I think that black one is a Cuckoo Marans are the bottom of it's feet yellow or white? Yellow=BR,Whitish pink=Marans.

9. Trixie27FL

Trixie27FL Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Thanks so much for all of the responses! The bottom of the black one's feet are yellow and a little bit webbed actually. The little one with the green legs in the picture with the black one is actually a week younger than the other two. He is the one that was given to me via a project on hatching eggs in my son's science class. We had heard that one wouldn't survive alone so we got two other ones to go with it and they were larger, but we bought them from a feed store that had all sorts of chicks together so we had no idea what kind we got. I really appreciate all of the help!

Tammy

10. thehbcrew

thehbcrew Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Long Island
    1st looks just like my rhode island red, second is looks like my Plymouth barred rock, and its friend i assume is an EE based on their responses, i dont have one so not 100%, but the others i have

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by