Can anyone help me? My Chickens ate my diamond earrings!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HenHenMom, Sep 5, 2016.

1. HenHenMom

HenHenMom New Egg

Jun 21, 2016
    Avon, Ohio
    Does anyone know if there's any chance my chickens will pass my earrings in their poop? My two lovely chickens, while sitting on my shoulders, simultaneously plucked my diamond earrings right out from my ear lobes and swallowed them. Ugh..............
    Please, anyone with any information, please respond.
    Thank you in advance!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd imagine that they should pass them, assuming they have gotten past their respective crops.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe you should keep them in a small pen till they pass the earrings and try to keep watch over them.. Otherwise the other birds may see something shiny and eat them . Gross I know. Dogs also seem to love chicken poop, so try to keep them away.

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    The earrings will probably get past their crop but I doubt they will go through their gizzard so quickly. The exit from the gizzard is smaller than the crop and designed to pass food that has been ground down, so I would anticipate it taking possibly weeks and degradation of the metal settings before they come out.
    In reality, short of keeping them in on a poop board until you recover them, collecting, washing and sieving all their poop for some considerable time.... or seeking veterinary assistance and probably surgical removal, you have most likely lost them.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by