Can anyone help me sex my 2 chickens pics inside.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gavbarker, Jul 16, 2007.

1. gavbarker

gavbarker Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    East yorkshire uk
    Hi can anyone help me im not sure what they both are i think they are 2 hens but recently the first one has got a lot reder around the face but it is about a month older then the one in the second pic they are both lightsesex
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also here is a pic of my recent batch of chicks 4 buff orpington and 1 lightsusex 3 weeks old yesterday

[​IMG]

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I don't know the sexes, but I love how your dogs are looking out the windows watching! So cute!

3. gavbarker

Apr 12, 2007
    East yorkshire uk
    I didnt notice them in the window till i just posted it on here they are obsesed with them but i havent let them meet them just yet as they get a bit exited.

4. gavbarker

Apr 12, 2007
    East yorkshire uk
    here are 2 of the dogs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. gavbarker

Apr 12, 2007
    East yorkshire uk
    I have to go now but please still help with your thoughts if you think you might know i realy hope that they are both hen as if its a cockrel i wont be able to keep it in the garden and it will have to go down to the farm. Also the one of the chicks the light susex in there as a bright red comb even tho it is only a few weeks old.

6. chrissieg

chrissieg Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello Gav,
    Nice to hear from you again, I was wondering if you'd been washed away!!
    IMO top picture looks like a cockerel (lots of red), but I hope I'm wrong; if she is old enough she might just be getting ready to lay! 2nd looks like a pullet, but if they're different ages it's not so easy to tell......as for the chicks [​IMG]

I hope you had an easier time with this hatch!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  7. Dragon_mom25

Dragon_mom25 New Egg

Jun 12, 2007
    neck feathers usually give away the males.

the neck feathers after the molt are pointy on males and rounded on females. some pictures show this really well. yours looks rounded on the first but I could not fully tell. one of the easiest and fastest and painless (all around) to tell if they are male or female!

I have seen them on 13 week chicks in pictures. they are beautiful anyway!

8. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Not really that easy to tell with them all scrunched up but it looks like that first one is a roo? The feathers seam a bit more pointed to me and the redness is a sign if they are the same age. But You may have to give them a bit more time. Very pretty.

Marie

9. gavbarker

Apr 12, 2007
    East yorkshire uk
    Just been looking at my dates and the top chicken is 12 weeks old now and the 2nd one is a bit less im not to sure i got it off a friend as it has curly toes and its legs are in a bad was when it walks so i thought i would give it a go to see how it gets on. Does 12 weeks make a diffrence to anyones thoughts?

And yes i did have a lot better 2nd hatch i had all the ones in the 3rd pic hatch out of 7 fertile eggs so i was very happy there just at the messy stage now lol.

10. yearofthedog

yearofthedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    Those are some cute dogs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by