Can anyone help me sex my chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by samlydia, Aug 28, 2013.

1. samlydia

samlydia Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    England
    Hello, got two chicks that i believe are sex linked but as this is our first hatch we don't really understand what the signs of Roos or Pullets are. The chicks are just over 2 weeks so I'm not sure if its still too early to tell but I've got some pics and any thoughts on whether their girls or boys would be appreciated.
    Thanks

[​IMG]
    Chick 1

[​IMG]
    Chick 1

[​IMG]
    Chick 1

[​IMG]
    Chick 1

[​IMG]
    Chick 2

[​IMG]
    Chick 2

[​IMG]
    Chick 2

[​IMG]
    Chick 2

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    What breed are they? Breeds like legbars and welsummers you can sometimes sex by the chicks down color and head markings as day olds.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that it is too young to tell for sure. No bird is screaming rooster at me, but they aren't old enough to be sure. Post some more photos when they are a couple weeks older.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Why do you think they're sex linked?

5. ClucksAndPeeps

ClucksAndPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Those aren't sex-linked. They are Easter Eggers (i think) and it's to early to tell the gender.

6. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Why do you say Easter eggers? I'm seeing straight combs, clean faces and yellow legs.

7. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

X2 :)

8. samlydia

samlydia Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    England
    I thought it may be too young to tell, but just wondered if there were any signs that anyone with experience may know of.

We think they are sex linked because when we got the eggs the farm said that with these ones you can tell the cockerels straight away, so we assumed that they are.

As for breed, the eggs were labelled B.R.Rhode, not 100% what that is, but after reading up we thought it might be a Barred Rock/Rhode Island Red, so if anyone knows what they could be or has suggestions it would be appreciated.

Thanks

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    You are in the UK? Wonder if you have Rhodebars. http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Auto/BRKAutosex.html has pictures of them as chicks at the bottom of the page, did yours look like that to start with? Do you know what they are supposed to look like when they are adults?

1 person likes this.
  10. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Can you call the farm where you got them and get more info from them? Seems that would be easiest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by