Can anyone help me tell if this Americana is a female? Praying she is!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DarleneE, Feb 9, 2014.

1. DarleneE

DarleneE Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    [​IMG]

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Very blurry pic, and very young chick, but I think at this point it's male. But, having said that, it's too young to tell, so post again in a few weeks and we'll know for sure, perhaps. It usually helps to have a pic of a sibling or clutchmate to compare, preferably of the same breed, as chicks of the same age develop at different rates depending on genes, environment, and husbandry.

The reasons I think it's male: stance, tail feathers spread and held quite upright, head high, breast lifted. Females do that too but it's far more common with males. Also, the crest. It's hard to see, but appears pinkish and wider than a female that age would likely have. And last but not least, the downwards tilt to the wings is more common in males. None of this is a guarantee, because asides from the crest thing, all the stance traits are also the same exhibited by a combative female of any age. Males just tend to walk around in combative stance as a habit but it is a unigender trait.

Best wishes.

3. DarleneE

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    Thank you so much for your reply. I just pray she's not a he as we cannot have roosters here. :(((

4. kimmommy23

kimmommy23 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2014
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The breed is spelled Ameraucana. But I am pretty sure the chick is an EE (Easter Egger).

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Wait a few weeks and try posting again, clear closeup of head showing comb, and side view, standing if possible, on "what gender or breed is this," thread

7. DarleneE

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    Thank you for the correct spelling. I was told that an Easter Egger is the same as an Ameraucana when I bought the chick??

8. DarleneE

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    THANK YOU!!

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!