Can anyone help me with home remidies for the night..small wound

mrsp523

Songster
12 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Western Mass
Many of my girls have been losing their feathers from Mr Roo (who has found a new home). One of my girls back now has a wound from the other girls pecking at it. When I went down tonight as soon as the light went on 2 of them started pecking at the spot. I'm worried come early daylight before we can buy something they will peck her to death. I should have been prepared as we already dealt with this once...but I'm not. Any home remedies that I can coat on her skin tonight to keep them from pecking coming morning? I've seen a few people mention vinegar, but that would burn like crazy and most likely just absorb into her skin and then become tasteless quick. Thanks for any help. I will be sure to be prepared next time.

The best thing to do until you can get some Blu-Kote or something like that is to separate her from the others-they're relentless and could really hurt her worse than she already is.

I would put her in a cardboard box if that's all you have and get her separated. They will pick to the bone and she'll bleed out.
sad.png
After that, how many birds do you have in what amount of space? What kind of feed are you feeding? There is a reason they're picking/eating each other...

Lastly, I would get pine tar and/or blue-kote and if it's on her back, a chicken saddle to cover the wound.

we have 12 girls and and a bantom rooster. I cant give you the space..but when husband built it he built it to house 16 birds. We have a friend who raises chickens and cattle, he has seen our spacing and said it is good. He also visited a few days ago and said they seem like very happy girls. They also have a 10x10 outside run. We feed layer pellet and other leftover food daily. Im hoping the feather loss is just because the last roo was very large and aggressive towards them - thats why he found a new home. My husband is worried that even though this other roo is small he may be digging into them more when mounting them. My goodness!
We dont have a crate, just a small cat one, but I'm sure we have large cardboard boxes. I saw somewhere that you can buy hen saddles to put on them to give the feathers time to grow back. I just want all this snow to melt so we can let them free range. Or find them something else to do ~ I think they have cabin fever. Its been a hard winter. *He did tell us to buy oyster shells for them. Thanks for responding.

Thanks to your suggestions
smile.png
She is doing ok, went to farm store today and got the blue-kote, this was recommended by sales person over the pine tar. Also picked up a few spare emergency items so were not panicing late some night or holiday when stores are closed.

To me you can't go wrong with bluekote. it is inexpensive and works to heal and to cover. And you might want to look into hen saddles I have some for my girls just in case.

Back
Top Bottom