Can anyone help? New chick is sleeping a lot, bobbing her head, can't walk straight.

chelseakiah

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
Hi. My name is Chelsea and I need a little help from you lovely people.

On Sunday, we brought six new chicks into our home. Three breeds: Ameraucana, Ancona, and Buff Brahma, with two of each. They were all doing fine, as far as I know, until yesterday. Yesterday we noticed that the smaller of our Buff Brahamas was having some problems.

She seems to be falling asleep constantly, and her head is constantly jerking sideways as if she has a tick. It's not violent, but just strange to see. She also isn't walking straight, and I'm assuming it's from the way her head is always to the side. I'm not sure if she is eating or drinking, but at this point, I'm assuming she's not.

We're all really nervous for her and we might be calling the veterinarian if we can't find out what is wrong.

I've provided a short video of her. I'm sorry for the nearly blinding red light, it's the light bulb on their heat lamp.

Thank you in advance for all of your advice,
Chelsea

I googled this and they are saying you may want to seperate it from the rest of the group incase it is a disease and to try giving it some vitamins to help it fight off any illness it may have and that you might want to have its droppings tested. I am gonna try to share this sight so you can read it ( under diseases).http://www.raising-chickens.org/shaky-chicken-.html Good luck!

Last edited:
Also put some electrolytes in her water.... I use gatorade... never had this problem but it certainly cant hurt.

hu.gif
Yes electrolytes!!!! I forgot to say that
wink.png

Could be wry neck. Google it. You can give Poly-Vi-Sol baby vitamins without iron, along with Vit E and Selenium. If it is wry neck it might clear up really fast.

Yes, indeed you need to move her into her own box. The other chicks will pick on the weaker one.
Make sure that you have water with vitamins in it, and try to get her to drink it.
Dip her beak into the water, and see if she will drink it. Then keep an eye on her to see if she is drinking.
Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom