Can anyone help sex and identify my ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lojo71, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Lojo71

Lojo71 New Egg

Nov 4, 2014
    Hi,

I was given two ducks when they were about three weeks old. I was told they were both welsh harquins. I have very untrained eye so could be wrong but I now believe the white one is a Pekin. I was hoping someone would confirm this and I was also wondering if there is any chance someone could sex them via the photo. Happy to take any extra shots that anyone feels might help.

Thanks in advance :) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    How old are they? Unsure of the breeds, but if they have a very loud quack then they are females. If they have a soft raspy quack then they are drakes.

3. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    looks like two girls, and the white one totally looks like pekin to me. The other is hard to tell, but looks like a Saxony duck. I don't see any Swedish in them. You can look up pics of a saxony and compare. :) They are really pretty.

4. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    okay they look like they're mixed breeds and listen for quaking or look at there sex tail feathers.

he looks to small and lean to be a pekin, , if you look at his chest its longated and narrower than a pekins would be, it looks like it's been mixed with some kind of runner.

as for the other one it too looks mixed breed too much white is splotched in random places as it looks in the picture, you also are getting to many different shades of color on it makeing it looking more diverse, leading to my statement of it being mixed breed

But they are beautiful ducks [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  5. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    could you post another picture of the brownish one.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Saxony for the one..?. the white on could be a Runner isn't built like a Pekin.

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    They look like poor quality Indian runners, or runner mixes to me, at least the first one is part runner. The other looks buff or part khaki.

8. Lojo71

Lojo71 New Egg

Nov 4, 2014
    Thanks for everyone's input. I think I might put another photo up of the white one because the photos are misleading. It normally walks much closer to the ground, I understand from the photos it looks like a Indian runner but in real life it doesn't seem to walk that way.
    Currently pouring outside ( Australian summer storm) so will post one in a few hours.m

9. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    It's not the ways it's walkkibg it the look of it chest

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    The one looks like a Saxony [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by