Can anyone help sex my 9 week old Rhode Island Red and Delaware chickens?

sharkins

Hatching
May 27, 2021
I was fairly confident they were both hens until a few days ago when I noticed the Delaware being a little bit more aggressive than usual while the chickens were wandering around outside. I then noticed that they both appear to be growing spurs on their legs. They are both 9 weeks old.
qxzcfu8f1r171.jpg
7zzczt8f1r171.jpg
wa3y0u8f1r171.jpg
xwjn1u8f1r171.jpg
9ogb7u8f1r171.jpg
4hjaut8f1r171.jpg
bqmuuu8f1r171.jpg

Both look like pullets to me. But post again soon. The bumbs on their legs are due to the roosters growing spurs. Hens will have small bumbs as chicks as well, but it will most likely stay the same or grow a tiny bit biger. Hens still have spurs in the form of bumbs. Some hens can get spurs like a rooster, but normally only if their the alpha hen.

Both look like pullets to me. But post again soon. The bumbs on their legs are due to the roosters growing spurs. Hens will have small bumbs as chicks as well, but it will most likely stay the same or grow a tiny bit biger. Hens still have spurs in the form of bumbs. Some hens can get spurs like a rooster, but normally only if their the alpha hen.
A hen doesn't need to be Alpha to grow spurs.
20201127_154849.jpg
She started out with one, she's starting to grow a second.

Although the Delaware looks more male like...

what breed is that? A welsummer? We got a few Welsummers and I just want to get an idea on what size they grow to...
Red JungleFowl/American Game cross. (Both hens)

Welsummers are large, I only have a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom