Can anyone help sex these lavender Ameraucanas?

LavendarFeather

Songster
7 Years
May 24, 2012
There are 3, and they are 7 weeks old. There may be a slight age difference (1-3 days), as I bought them from someone who was hatching daily and adding to their cage. One I am sure is a roo. One I go back and forth on, but if I had to committ I'd say roo. The third I thought was a pullet, but then I read on another post that wide combs mean roo in black Ameraucanas, so now I don't know....

Stanley, known Roo (for comparison)

Sterling, suspected Roo

Violet, my last hope for a girl...

Violet full body

Clockwise from bottom: Sterling, Stanley, Violet (looking away)

Thanks for any input! I know I have a lot to learn....

Stanley and Sterling have single combs so they are't true Ameraucana, probably popped up from back in the lines. I would cull those 2 if you plan on using them for breeding. Judging by the wattles on Stanley I'd say he's a cockerel, not sure on the other 2

Oh, I didn't know their combs were wrong. Can they still correct, or is it that just how they are going to be? It seems like these birds change every day. I should not have named them until I knew I could keep them!

Oh, I didn't know their combs were wrong. Can they still correct, or is it that just how they are going to be? It seems like these birds change every day. I should not have named them until I knew I could keep them!

No more than you can naturally correct how big your ears are :). It's all in the genes.

I would recommend enjoying these birds as beautiful pets, but not breeding them. The breeder probably gave them to you because he/she culled them from their own breeding program as unacceptable.

No more than you can naturally correct how big your ears are :). It's all in the genes.

I would recommend enjoying these birds as beautiful pets, but not breeding them. The breeder probably gave them to you because he/she culled them from their own breeding program as unacceptable.
LOL-okay, well I guess plastic surgery won't help his genes :) I got these as babies from a guy who buys eggs at auctions, incubates and sells on CL. So no real history on them. I just fell in love with a picture of a sparkly lavender chick in his ad. They were pricey, but I was able to barter. I probably shouldn't breed anyway, as it seems I am rather allergic to their feathers or dander or something...it's tolerable, but I probably shouldn't expand my flock. But it's fun to think about.

Okay, now they are 12 weeks old, and I STILL don't really know what I've got. Shouldn't I know by now? Hmmm. Part of the problem is that two of them have improper combs. And I'm pretty much looking mainly at combs, since nobody's feathers are very conclusive. The one who is most obviously a roo does have a bigger tail now. Anyway, I'd be grateful for any insight. Thanks!

Everybody's combs. Front left is Stanley.

Two of the three smaller birds

Stanley, the big guy

I am curious, I just saw this post...what did you end up with? I have 3 lavenders 13 weeks old and I am clueless.
Okay, now they are 12 weeks old, and I STILL don't really know what I've got. Shouldn't I know by now? Hmmm. Part of the problem is that two of them have improper combs. And I'm pretty much looking mainly at combs, since nobody's feathers are very conclusive. The one who is most obviously a roo does have a bigger tail now. Anyway, I'd be grateful for any insight. Thanks!

Everybody's combs. Front left is Stanley.

Two of the three smaller birds

Stanley, the big guy

Hi, thanks for chiming in! I, too, remain clueless... Or perhaps I am just in denial. If I had to guess, I would say I have three boys and a girl. I'm pretty sure about one boy and one girl. The other two I go back and forth on. If pressed, I'd have to admit they're likely both cockerels. But it's not conclusive. So for now, I will follow the adage, "Don't count your roosters before they crow."
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom