Can anyone help sex this polish?

mamalynnx

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 9, 2014
[/IMG]

Sorry for the bad pics, not cooperating! Lol. It's about three weeks now. I know that's young but just curious what people think. Thanks!

Thanks guys. I was assuming it would be because it was a free chick with a hatchery order. It's also very sassy and a bit aggressive. I'm new to chickens but none of my other birds have it out for me like this guy lol

If it is a roo, what is a fair asking price for it? I will keep it another four or five weeks I think just to make sure.

That chick is too young to sex. At that age you cannot go by the crest feathers. Both sexes look like this at 3 weeks old. You will have to wait until you see comb development, crowing, or signs that the crest feathers are pointed instead of rounded. I will agree that the vast majority of free chicks are cockerels but it isn't a certainty. And some hatcheries do not sex Polish at all, so some freebies will be a 50/50 chance.

On second look it may also be a cream Brabanter.

Last edited:
That chick is too young to sex. At that age you cannot go by the crest feathers. Both sexes look like this at 3 weeks old. You will have to wait until you see comb development, crowing, or signs that the crest feathers are pointed instead of rounded. I will agree that the vast majority of free chicks are cockerels but it isn't a certainty. And some hatcheries do not sex Polish at all, so some freebies will be a 50/50 chance.

On second look it may also be a cream Brabanter.

I ordered from mcmurray hatchery and I don't believe they carry cream brabanter. I had to google it, I've never heard of them. Pretty cute! This is my first year raising chickens, thank you for the info! I keep hearing people talk about rounded or pointed feathers but I'm not sure how to tell. Does anyone have pics that show this?

Back
Top Bottom