1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone help? Sexing Chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Double T, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Double T

Double T Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    W Texas
    I'm about to go crazy with these young birds! I have 4 5 month old RIR's. One I was sure was a roo, even posted pics here to check and got that too. NOW another one is growing into feathers just like this other one. The other two are short tailed, and don't have as big of bumps on their legs (like where the spurs would be). That's the only distinction I can made of the 4. Other than today two got in a squabble, and both hunkered down and fluffed up their neck feathers. LOL I've looked for pictures of how to tell but can't find any. Can anyone help??? I've also got 29 2 month chicks and I'm about scared to even start trying to tell the difference in them. LOL

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Without pictures...there is not way we can effectively help you...
    Pleas post fact and hackle (neck feather) shot....full body side shot and a top view looking at the back and tail feather (saddle feathers).

Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. Double T

Double T Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    W Texas
    Is there a site that will explain the difference? and also include pictures of each so that I can look and try to tell myself? I've got 29 2-month old chicks and the 4 5 month old, don't really want to flood the forum with THAT many pictures, expecially if you need multiple of each chicken, lol That's the info I'm looking for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by