Can anyone help with a quick car question???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 24, 2010.

1. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I just picked up a second hand car... I am in Australia...so different model than you guys would have over there...but just wanted to know in general if transmission fluid can leak if it was over filled. I am taking it back to get looked at- But in the mean time I just thought I would ask here and see if any knows. I checked the levels- and its FULL... so I thought maybe it was just over filled and some is coming out some relief valve or overflow "thingy" Car is under warranty so if it is a gasket or a hose - It will be repaired...Im just a bit annoyed that I would find a problem so quickly on my new car.

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:not that I am aware of.

How sure are you it's ATF?

eta- oops, just goes to show ya... Its been forever and a day since I've played with a transmission [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks for the quick reply Boyd..

I used to work for a mechanic...and did a lot of work on my first two car back then.. Back when an engine was simple. No way I can work on cars these days. I waited til the exhaust pipe cooled and wiped what was on it - plus the few drops on the ground. It was a pinky coloured oil. Im pretty sure it more likely a gasket or hose ... But I was just hoping maybe it can leak from being overfilled. I just got the car home and have driven it less than 10 KLm...to soon to find a problem yet..

4. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    they can leak if over filled, they usually have a vent ontop of the transmission and if over filled, it will leak when the car is driven

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    They do?? Oh great...I so hope thats all it is. It was a stinker of a day here too- so although the radiator and coolant system works well- it was a drive in hot conditions. Having to wait until tomorrow to take it back I knew it would keep me awake tonight worrying about how long it would take to change over gaskets or what ever it would take to fix a bad leak. That kind of makes sense too- as now the car is stopped- there is no more fluid leaking.

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I remembered a friend of mine has a mechanic husband- so went and asked him...he says no valve or overflow on these ones. So I hope the problem is easily fixed after work tomorrow. Thanks for the info though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by